Hip, hip, hurray for the weekend! What is everyone up to? Considering I live in a top tourist destination area (I totally take it for granted!) there is plenty to do here. The weather forecast is primo btw! I won’t bore you by suggesting the “San Diego Safari Park”(although that’s one of my favorite touristy places). Here are a few random suggestions of what to do, where to go and of most importantly what to eat and drink!
1. Sicilian Festival Got a crush on Giada De Laurentiis? Well she’s doing a cooking demo and book signing Sunday, May 22nd in San Diego’s Little Italy. (thanks Carey for the lead on this great find!)
2. Happy hour at Trulucks Looking for a classy place to hit a fabulous happy hour? This is definitely the spot for you! It’s in La Jolla very close to the 5 and 805 freeway, hence convenient. Last time I was there, martini’s (top shelf if I might add) were $6 along with a nice variety of gourmet bargain bites. My favorite are the crab cake sliders, calamari and mini carrot cake! Happy hour Fri and Sat from 5–7 p.m. and Sunday 5-9p.m. I suggest calling in case their hours/policy changed. 858–453-2583
3. Top of the Hyatt Bar with a view? This is the winner! 40 stories high overlooking the amazing San Diego Bay and beyond to Coronado. Drinks won’t come cheap here but the view is priceless. This might be one of the best places to get a drink in San Diego. Yes, it’s a tad touristy, but it’s so worth it.
4. Fletcher Cove The forecast is low 70’s for this weekend so it may or may not be beach weather for you. If it is, this beach is great, especially if you have children. There is a really cool playground and basketball court overlooking the beach. It’s very well taken care of. You can find restrooms, parking and tables. The actual beach area has easy access but is very small. However it is my favorite place to grab my beach chair, a sandwich from Waters up the street and just chilax! I’m torn, ocean breezes or Giada book signing this weekend!! What’s a girl to do?
5. Iron Fist Brewing Company Are you in the mood for a really good beer? This is the place then! $4 gets you a sampler or a beer. This is a tasting room in an industrial business park so they do not sell food. However you can usually find a food truck in the parking lot. I say grab your buddies and just go…You’ll love the family that makes the beer and owns the place! Guaranteed good time!
6. Cucina Urbana A romantic, but fun and whimsical Italian restaurant in Bankers hill. It’s very lively but not in a bad way. Everything on the menu is under $20. (but tastes like it’s more$) If you want to go somewhere for dinner without being disappointed, this is the place. I love the grilled octopus and short rib pasta! Just typing this is making my mouth water…Make reservations for sure, it gets packed. 619–239-2222
7. North County Wine Company This is a great “hole in the wall” wine shop and tasting bar. It’s in the North county area of San Marcos near restaurant row. It’s very “low brow” so if you’re looking for snobbery you won’t find it here. They have an outside patio you can enjoy if the weather is good too. Check to see their featured winery for Friday night on their website. Saturday is 6 for $6. Taste any 6 wines of your choice. If you wanna “fake” being in Napa for $6 this is the place to go! (sorry no breathtaking vineyards or Thomas Keller here) I think you’d be pleasantly surprised by this homey wine tasting bar. Give it a try!
8. Got Ladybugs? San Diego Botanic Gardens (formerly Quail Botanical Garden) presents ladybug day this Saturday from 10–12:30. You get to count ladybugs, do crafts and ask bug experts questions. There is a ladybug release at noon. I think this sounds like a lot fun!
9. Padres Game This weekend they’re home playing the Seattle Mariners Fri, Sat and Sunday. Even if you don’t love baseball, Petco Park is an adventure in itself. What a great way to spend some time this weekend…
10. Pacifica Breeze Cafe Breakfast is always a “weekend” thing. So here’s one of my favorite spots for a really yummy breakfast. The bonus: Breathtaking ocean views in Del Mar! Does it get better than this? Hardly…This is a casual, self serve place. If you’re looking for a fancy 5 star service brunch, this isn’t it. My favorite is the bre’ egg wrap. My hubby loves the eggs benedict.